Monday, January 20, 2014

Back Home From Surgery

Hi Everyone -

I am back from surgery, which went well.  To remove my tumor they had to remove my whole scapula, so my mobility is now limited on the left side.  Alas, my dream of becoming a championship weightlifter will go unrealized. 

However, there are two pieces of good news to come from this removal of the scapula.  One, they were able to remove the whole tumor and once chemo is over they are confident the cancer will not return.  Two, this surgery eliminates the need for major radiation therapy, which would have also hurt my left arm's mobility and likely would have caused further issues 10-12 years down the road.

All that being said, I'm happy with the trade-off and with a little practice I should be able to do most of the things I did before.  They are going to give me a little time to recover before they start chemo, but we should get the ball rolling again before the end of the month.

I'll be back soon for another update.  Until then, I'm happy to be back home with Sam and the kids and look forward to finishing up the home stretch.  Take care, and thanks for your prayers, thoughts and support.

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment