Thursday, April 17, 2014

Chemo #11 is done

Good afternoon everyone, I hope you all are doing well. I returned from my latest session of chemo yesterday evening. Overall things went well, though they did keep me an extra day due to some concerns about higher than normal levels of creatinine. Essentially, elevated levels of creatinine indicate the kidneys are working harder than they should. Given that the chemo I'm being administered is hard on the kidneys, they felt it best to hydrate me for a day before moving forward. While it's not fun being in the hospital longer than expected, I would prefer the extra day to kidney problems. Luckily, all looked well when I left yesterday.

I'm hoping that all of the chemo treatments and my port-removal surgery will be wrapped up in about 10-11 weeks. That's probably a little optimistic given the larger hit my cell counts are taking from the chemo, which causes delays in the treatment. Still, I'll assume 11 weeks for now and extend the timeline only when necessary. I'm looking forward to getting back to a normal life.

Sam has been a great source of strength through all of this, and Domonick (my 16-year old) is handling the more physically taxing tasks around the house at the moment. They definitely deserve a nice vacation at some point.

The physical therapy I've been doing has done wonders for my left arm. Despite the missing scapula, I can do most of the things I want to at this point. There are still some points of frustration, but due to Sam and a couple of great physical therapists I've come a long way.

I hope you all have a great rest of the week and I will look forward to posting again soon. Until then, take care!

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment